We invite you to participate in the Lorentz Center workshop
ICT With Industry
January 20–24 2020
The ICT with Industry workshop brings together scientists and professionals from industry and governments. The workshop revolves around five exiting case studies, which are subject to an intense week of analyzing, discussing, and modeling solutions.
You will be part of a team of 5 to 8 dedicated researchers from various ICT-disciplines, actively collaborating on one of the cases during the week.
- the opportunity to work on an interesting and real-life data science problem provided by a company
- increase your network, both in academia and industry
- collaborate with fellow researchers from related disciplines and learn from each other
- open up possibilities for future collaborations on scientific papers or project proposals
What challenging case studies are available?
- Sound and Vision: Scaping Generous Interfaces for Audiovisual Heritage Collections
- Atos/HOMIE: Wash program prediction
- KB (Royal Library): Improving Access to Early Modern Gothic Texts with NLP and Machine Learning
- RTL Nederland: Multimodal Emotion Recognition
- TNO: Create Multi-Purpose Digital Twins for Industry that are a factor 1000 cheaper
- than current approaches
You can find the descriptions of the case studies here.
Lorentz Center Facilities The workshop is held at the Lorentz Center, located at the Faculty of Science campus of Leiden University, the Netherlands. The Lorentz Center provides each participant with office space and wireless internet access. Thanks to the workshop sponsors, Lorentz Center also provides accommodations at the nearby hotel “Van der Valk Hotel Leiden” free of charge (based on shared rooms, or at a 30€ charge in case you prefer a single room, after having asked for this in the registration form), and bike rental. The Lorentz Center stimulates an interactive atmosphere, encouraging collaborations between participants. This format typically generates extensive debates and enables significant progress to be made during the meeting. For further information, please refer to the website of the Lorentz Centre workshop.
Costs and Refunds Lorentz Center does not charge registration fees. In addition, all food and drinks during the workshop are free of charge. We do expect participation for the entire week.
Student credits the SIKS, IPA and ASCI research schools provide credits for PhD students participating in the workshop. At the end of the workshop NWO will issue a letter of attendance upon request.
Female researchers are particularly encouraged to participate in the workshop.
Registration We hope that you are interested in participating in the workshop. If so, we kindly ask that you register by 17 November 2018 via the workshop webpage: https://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2020/1220/info.php3?wsid=1220&venue=Oort
More information about the workshop:
- ICT with Industry chairs: Ivano Malavolta & Vasilios Andrikopoulos
- Lorentz Center: Aimée Reinards
- NWO ENW: Amber Kerkhofs
- NWO TTW: Paul Blank